Routine visits to our dental hygienist not only helps you keep your natural teeth, decrease your chances of gum disease, maintain a sparkling smile and increase your kissibility! It can also have a profound effect on your overall health.
Recent research has shown that gum disease is associated with several serious other diseases.
1. Diabetes– gum disease has been shown to increase blood sugar levels therefore contributing to increased periods of time when the body functions with a high blood sugar. This increases the risk of diabetic complications.
2. Heart disease– research has shown that inflammation caused by gum disease is responsible for an increased risk of heart disease. Gum disease can also exacerbate current heart conditions.
3. Stroke– studies have shown a relationship between gum disease , oral infection and an increased chance of having a stroke.
4. Respiratory disease- scientists are currently investigating whether bacteria that are present in gum disease can travel to the lungs to cause/ exacerbate respiratory disease.
5. Cancer- clinical studies have been done recently that show that men with gum disease are 49% more likely to develop kidney cancer, 55% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer and 31% more likely to develop blood cancers.
So as you can see it’s not all about the teeth! Prevention is better than cure in so many ways .Let us help you look after yourself.
Contact us , Braden Dental Care, cosmetic / general dentists in Belfast . https://www.bradendentalcare.co.uk/contact/